How to stay fit in Milan
Italy is famed for its food for good reason, I mean who doesn’t want to eat pizza and pasta all day? Unfortunately, it often means bidding farewell to your skinny jeans and slim physique so, here are a few ways that you can stay fit and healthy in Milan no matter what your budget is.
Run, Jog or Walk
- It’s totally free! Isn’t the best type of exercise free?
- Milan is a really flat city which makes it ideal for running or jogging!
- For those who don’t want to exercise in the street, there aren’t that many green spaces in the city but there are a few that are great to exercise in. They usually have beautiful and really interesting monuments which are perfect for those who get bored easily or who want to people watch.
Below are some of the best parks in Milan:
- Parco Sempione: It has the Castello and the Arco della Pace!
- Giardini Pubblici Indro Montanelli: You can see the Natural History Museum here!
- Giardini della Guastalla: There’s a beautiful pond with fish in this small park!
Park Workout Classes
- These are most commonly advertised via Facebook and Instagram by freelance fitness instructors.
- They’re usually pretty cheap and you’ll be able to find a class that interests you whether it be yoga, Pilates, dance or just standard workout classes.
- You can try out lots of different types of exercise for a low cost and find what works best for you!
- You might make workout friends who you could exercise with!
Studio Workout Classes
- There’s no shortage of exercise classes in Milan that are in studios or gyms.
- You can find Pilates classes no matter what your needs (you can even find a Mum and Baby Pilates class).
- You can also go to yoga classes at a specialised centre in Milan and even participate in seminars and course!
- If you’re looking for something a little bit different you might want to try a dance class. It’s a great way to meet new people while having fun and keeping in active!
Here are some links to follow if you want to find some workout classes:
- Pilates: http://www.centroenforme.it/
- Yoga: https://www.yogamandir.org/
- Dance: http://www.fuorididanza.it/
- There are multiple bike sharing schemes in Milan and it’s even pretty affordable to buy a second-hand bike which makes it one of the cheapest types of exercise.
- You can incorporate cycling into your daily routine by using it instead of public transport for your commute or to take in the sites of Milan.
- If you have your own bike, you could even take it with you on day trips outside of Milan and explore the surrounding towns and cities while getting a good workout in.
Here are some bike sharing schemes that you can sign up to:
- Bike Mi: https://www.bikemi.com/en/homepage.aspx
- Mobike: https://mobike.com/it/
- If you want to have fun and really get your heart rate up, football could be the winner!
- It’s easy to find a team as many of the international pages on Facebook are always trying to organise matches or you could try out the app Fubles. Who knows you could make some new friends!
- There are many pitches around Milan and you’re sure to find one close to you. The cost of the pitch shared between those playing makes it a pretty affordable option.
Here’s a link to the Fubles website:
- The prices can vary greatly so there’s definitely something for everyone’s budget! It’s really important to look for discounts and promotions and not just choose the first gym that you see so be sure to shop around and check out the facilities.
- The most popular gyms in Milan are:
- The most affordable gyms are:
- If you do decide to invest in a gym membership, it might inspire you to go more often and get your money’s worth.
Here is a site that has some information about where to find gym discounts:
- These bootcamps are really popular among celebrities in search of the perfect figure and they have started to pop up in Milan to offer high-intensity workouts that get results.
- Unfortunately, a bootcamp class usually comes with a price tag upwards of 25 euros so it won’t be for everyone!
- It can really boost your energy and you’re sure to see results in a short period of time.
Below are a couple of bootcamps you might want to try: